Hello darkness, my old friend

I've come to talk with you again...
Welcome to my notebook, where a page is another world.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Separating Diversity

Commercials of New York tourism will brag about how diverse this city is. True that, true that. But, what they won't ever say is how divided we are. We hold the title as being the most diverse city, and yet we people of New York City feel forced to be with each other. Racism still lives here. It's a powerful parasite infecting us. What is wrong here? Aren't we supposed to love each other? Well, not here, apparently, there are too many stereotypes going on.

Like, why is Manhattan predominately white? What would happen if I get an apartment in the Upper East Side and I tell my neighbors I used to live in the Bronx? They will probably think I will bring down all the hoodlums of the Bronx and make the area not worth living. I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn. She said there is a neighborhood that doesn't accept any black people to live. It's so wrong. Hey, Brooklyn, what's going on??

And it's not just a black racist thing. Where I live is predominately black. I've been living in my neighborhood for ten plus years. There are still familiar faces that greet me, and yet, sadly, there are faces of whom are young to me, but they give it to me like I stole candy from them. They don't like it when I enter the elevator with them. Some look over me and others who look up and down at me. It's as if I want to ask, "Do I smell funny?" and "Do you like my new sweater? It was on sale at JC Penney." If I were racist, I wouldn't tolerate being in an elevator with them.

It all brings me back to my past when I was in middle and high school. The children never liked me and made excuses about my hair, lies upon lies on favoritism between teacher and I, and spread dirty rumours, such as, my house crawled roaches all over and therefore, labeled me dirty and untouchable. My white skin wasn't acceptable to their ignorant faces. It was mostly girls who disrespected affection with me. They never wanted to sit next to me. Then, after high school, I went to a Bible school of which was predominately white. And, just when I though Christians accept everyone, well, I was wrong. White boys wanted white girls. Hispanic boys wanted white girls. Black boys wanted white girls. Asian boys wanted white girls. Hispanic girl wanted... Hispanic girl wanted... Hispanic girl wanted A boy. No. Not acceptable. I was denied of any relationship based on my ethnicity. I didn't have the ideal features. My hair and eye colors are dark brown. I felt both sides of the see saw. Back at home, I'm white. In Bible school, I'm Hispanic. None wanted those options. What was I left to do? Move on with my life.

New York City is truly a unique city. I can sit next to a millionaire on the train and not even know it. You could be living in an expensive SoHo loft, but through your windows, you will see a homeless man sleeping on your block. We have all colors of social statuses. The phrase keeps reoccurring in my mind: "It doesn't matter what race. We should keep loving each other." Oh yeah, what about starting where you live, prophet holder? I always see white people talking with white people and asians talking with asians, blacks with blacks, blah, blah, (racism) blah. Stop separating yourselves and start moving into areas that aren't your "people" and love. I will believe this city is diverse and love each other's diversity when this happens. Other than that, New York City is another racist city in the United Racist States of Ameracism.

Long live KKK or Black Power?

No comments: